Heather Webber, aka Heather Blake, is the author of more than twenty-five novels, including the popular best-selling romantic mystery series featuring Lucy Valentine, the humorous Nina Quinn landscaping mysteries, and the best-selling Darcy Merriweather Wishcraft mysteries and the Potion Shop mysteries. Heather loves to read, watch cooking competition shows, drink too much coffee and tea, crochet, and bake.
50 Things You May Not Know About Me
1) As a child I used to catch lizards in Las Vegas flood ditches. For fun.
2) My first job was a papergirl for the Weymouth News (Massachusetts).
3) I’ve never traveled overseas.
4) I played flute and piccolo in my younger years.
5) I took swimming lessons in the waters of the frigid Atlantic Ocean. (The seaweed! The algae! The jellyfish! The barnacles! The trauma!)
6) I have trouble telling my left from my right.
7) I love words.
8) During a fitness contest I once jumped rope for ten minutes straight. (These days I can do about ten seconds.)
9) I have a three-year-old grandson.
10) Although I’m 5’2”, I was a setter on my high school volleyball team. (The fact that we weren’t very good should go without saying.)
11) I’ve never been issued a speeding ticket. (Pure luck.)
12) I can't whistle.
13) The first Broadway show I ever saw was My Fair Lady. (I was 35 at the time.)
14) Most days I wake up at 5:30 AM and go to bed by 9 PM.
15) My grandmother taught me math facts by playing blackjack for spare change.
16) I am a master knot-untangler.
17) I took three years of honors Spanish in high school and can barely remember any of it. (See # 50.)
18) I’m the worst (or best) procrastinator ever.
19) I worked at Woolworths as a teenager.
20) Over the past couple of years I’ve developed a fear of driving in snow and ice.
21) I can still remember the Toaster Cake jingle twenty years later.
22) I had a kidney stone while pregnant. (Insert Scar from Lion King saying, “Life’s not fair.”)
23) Once broke a toe getting out of an absurdly high-ledged bathtub.
24) I have a mild case of claustrophobia.
25) The first short story I wrote won second place in a contest, netting me $50.
26) That story also sold to a now defunct-mystery magazine. My earnings? $10. (Seeing it in print: Priceless.)
27) I don’t have a clue how to change a flat tire.
28) I first visited Alabama in 2007, fell in love with it, and knew immediately I'd set books there.
29) As a child I had blue eyes and blonde hair. Now I have hazel eyes and brown (and gray!) hair.
30) I once dry-walled a room (mud and taped) by myself. Badly.
31) I prefer to use pump # 13 at my local gas station. Bizarro, I know.
32) I have a crochet shop on Etsy.
33) I once ruptured my eardrum while on vacation in Florida. (Ow.)
34) It took 36 years for me to see The Sound of Music.
35) My favorite season is spring.
36) After wearing glasses for more than twenty years, I had Lasik done and highly recommend it.
37) I was a Girl Scout leader for five years.
38) I once got lost with my family in a cave in Mt. Charleston. (See #24).
39) I don’t drink alcohol.
40) Every spring I have nightmares about tornadoes. (Despite # 35.)
41) I still have all my wisdom teeth.
42) I once caused a small kitchen fire by leaving a pot of boiling water and oil (making spaghetti) unattended. Oops.
43) As a child, I bought a puppy for fifty cents (her name was Sootie).
44) I haven’t been able to eat lobster since dissecting a crawfish in 9th grade biology class.
45) My garage once jumped out and bit the passenger mirror off my car. (That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.)
46) A friend and I once stuck our arms in a sewer grate for hours to save a kitten from certain death.
47) I love the smell of summer rain.
48) I once started a fire in the fireplace without realizing the flue was stuck. Think smoke. Lots of smoke.
49) I can’t stand the sound of snapping fingers.
50) I have a really bad memory. (#21 not withstanding.)