1) As a child I used to catch lizards in Las Vegas flood ditches. For fun.
2) My first job was a papergirl for the Weymouth News.
3) I’ve never traveled overseas.
4) I played flute and piccolo in my younger years.
5) When I lived in Massachusetts, I used to take swimming lessons in the waters of the frigid Atlantic Ocean. (The seaweed! The algae! The jellyfish! The barnacles! The trauma!)
6) I have trouble telling my left from my right. (My wedding ring helps in this endeavor.)
7) I love the Reader's Digest vocabulary quiz.
8) During a fitness contest I once jumped rope for ten minutes straight. (These days I can do about ten seconds.)
9) I have no idea how to use an MP3 player.
10) Although I’m 5’2”, I was a setter on my high school volleyball team. (The fact that we weren’t very good should go without saying.)
11) I’ve never been issued a speeding ticket. (Pure luck.)
12) I volunteer at my local Humane Society.
13) The first Broadway show I ever saw was My Fair Lady. (I was 35 at the time.)
14) I hit the snooze button three times every morning before getting up.
15) My grandmother taught me math facts by playing blackjack for spare change.
16) For some subliminal (has to be) reason, I can watch Parent Trap (either version) over and over.
17) I took three years of honors Spanish in high school and can barely remember any of it. (See # 50.)
18) I’m the worst procrastinator ever. (For a prime example see #14.)
19) Was once told I had a bad attitude by a customer when I worked as a cashier for Woolworths as a teenager. (Moi?)
20) Over the past couple of years I’ve developed a fear of driving in snow and ice.
21) I can still remember the Toaster Cake jingle twenty years later.
22) I had a kidney stone while pregnant. (Insert Scar from Lion King saying, “Life’s not fair.”)
23) Once broke a toe getting out of an absurdly high-ledged bathtub.
24) I have a mild case of claustrophobia.
25) The first short story I wrote won second place in a contest, netting me $50.
26) That story also sold to a now defunct mystery magazine. My earnings? $10. (Seeing it in print: Priceless.)
27) I don’t have a clue how to change a flat tire.
28) I hate waiting at the deli counter, so I now use the automated deli ordering machine. (One of the best inventions ever.)
29) As a child I had blue eyes and blonde hair. Now I have hazel eyes and brown hair.
30) I once dry-walled a room (mud and taped) by myself. Badly.
31) I prefer to use pump # 13 at my local gas station. Bizarro, I know.
32) My favorite item of clothing is a ratty gray fleece zippered sweatshirt that should have been put out of its misery a long time ago.
33) I once ruptured my eardrum while on vacation in Florida. (Ow.)
34) It took 36 years for me to see The Sound of Music.
35) My favorite season is spring.
36) After wearing glasses for over twenty years, I had Lasik done and highly recommend it.
37) I was a Girl Scout leader for five years.
38) I once got lost with my family in a cave in Mt. Charleston. (See #24).
39) I don’t drink alcohol.
40) Every spring I have nightmares about tornadoes. (Despite # 35.)
41) I still have all my wisdom teeth.
42) I once caused a small kitchen fire by leaving a pot of boiling water and oil (making spaghetti) unattended. Oops.
43) I once bought a puppy for fifty cents.
44) I haven’t been able to eat lobster since dissecting a crawfish in 9th grade biology class.
45) My garage once jumped out and bit the passenger mirror off my car. (That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.)
46) I once stuck my arms in a sewer grate for hours to save a kitten from certain death.
47) I love the smell of summer rain.
48) I once started a fire in the fireplace without realizing the flue was stuck. Think smoke. Lots of smoke. (Oops.)
49) I can’t stand the sound of snapping fingers.
50) I have a really bad memory. (#21 not withstanding.)